The newly renovated Highlands Golf & Tennis Center, formally the St. Louis Amateur Athletic Association, has played an important role in the development of Golf and Tennis in the metropolitan area.
In October 1897, fifty leading citizens formed a club to provide low cost athletic facilities. Mr. Alfred Jones was the principal founder. Little did Mr. Jones know that his dream would still be going strong after five major wars, a great depression, years of legal wrangling concerning park occupancy, and a fire that destroyed the clubhouse.
The first club house was located inside the one-mile track of the Gentlemen's Driving Club in Forest Park near Skinker Boulevard and Forsyth on what is now The Dwight D. Eisenhower Golf Course.
In 1902, Triple A was given 70 acres of land at its current location because the 1904 World's Fair needed to use the land. This special spot in Forest Park use to be known as Tierny Hill. Tennis courts, a baseball diamond with stands, a track, a golf course, handball courts and volleyball courts were built at this new location. A lacrosse team was created and won the silver medal at the 1904 Olympics!
The golf and tennis facilities at Triple A Club have flourished over the years, producing many great amateur and professional players. Tennis player Jimmy Connors began his career on the courts at Triple A. As a child golfer Judy Rankin began her career practicing at Triple A.
St. Louisan Dwight Davis had a vision of starting a world tennis competition between countries that continues today. Triple A had the honor of hosting the Davis Cup matches in 1927, 1946, and 1961. In addition to this prominent event, numerous clinics, exhibitions, sectional, and district competitions have been held over the years at Triple A Club.
In 2005, American Golf was hired to manage the facility and golf course at Triple A. In 2008, American Golf sold both Forest Park and Triple A Golf Courses to their current owners, Eagle Golf. Eagle Golf, a proven leader in the golf management business worked with the City of St. Louis to revitalize the Triple A Club. After taking over the Triple A lease in 2008, Eagle Golf and the City began a multi-million dollar renovation to the clubhouse, golf course, and tennis courts. The renovation included a re-designed public 9 hole golf course,updated clay courts with lights, a 30 stall lit driving range, brand new full service bar and restaurant, and private event space. The renovation was a huge success. Consequently, in April 2010, the Highlands Golf & Tennis Center re-opened to the public and continues the tradition of amateur athletics in St. Louis.